Pages

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Solving problems (and hopefully stomach ache)

Today was back to work again, and whilst it wasn't a bad day, I have had nausea pretty much all day. I really need to learn how to deal with it. I do have tablets that I can take when it gets bad (Buscopan), but I don't really want to take them more than I need to. My doctor told me I can take them several times a day, every day - and that some people do as a matter of course. I really don't want to end up relying on them though, so I'm trying not to take them. Thinking about it logically, it seems silly not to make myself feel better, but I think part of me feels that if I take them, I can't tell whether my dietary changes (which still aren't fully formed) are taking effect.

I don't think the stomach pain is really food related, at least not in the main. I think that 80% of it is probably stress induced. I have next week off (hurray!), and I'm really looking forward to it. However, the stress head side of me is just thinking about how much I need to get done in the next three days so that other people can pick up my work whilst I'm off. There is really plenty of time for me to get all of the necessary work done; the problem is that I generally get interrupted a lot and asked to do other things as well, and that's what's going to take the time.

What I need to do in this case is stop stressing about the problem and start finding solutions. I can tell people who interrupt me that they're going to have to come back later. I will prioritise. I can ask other people to pick up some bits of work. There is not one big problem 'I can't get all my work done', there are several small problems that can be solved. In my case, there's one big bit of work that I'm doing with someone else that really needs to be done, or at least passed over fully to my colleague. At times I don't work on it as I have so many other tasks, I want to get some of those out of the way. However, I think in this case the smaller tasks are going to have to wait - they are less important. Although I might feel better if I only have one task instead of ten, if that one is huge and important, it needs prioritising. So tomorrow morning when I arrive at work, I will write my 'to do' list, spend half an hour getting a few small things out of the way, and then I will get to work on the larger task. I think once we start tackling it, it will be fine and (hopefully) I'll be able to wind down and then enjoy my time off.

In the meantime though, I might just take that medication as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment